What should I do if I’m worried about my child’s safety online?
- Talk to your child about the websites that they use. By understanding and involving yourself in their internet use, you're helping to keep them safe
- Be positive about the internet and remember that it is a fantastic learning and communication tool
- Try not to overreact to minor issues. If your child worries that you may take away their internet access, they could become secretive and hide problems from you
- Keep PCs, laptops and games consoles out of bedrooms wherever possible. Having the laptop in a family room makes it easier for you to monitor your child's internet use, whilst still giving them privacy
- Set clear ground rules and expectations for your child's online behaviour. If they understand what is and isn't acceptable, it may help them to navigate any problems in the future
Information & Advice
Information and advice for parents and carers around the safe use of technology is available from Northamptonshire Children's Trust